The Recreation Intern will be responsible for planning and facilitating a variety of out-trips for senior members of the centre. This placement would best suit individuals who are self-motivated and interested in gaining practical operational skills in recreation and program planning.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Plan and facilitate a variety of trips and outings that are accessible to seniors. This will include booking transportation and purchasing tickets, liaising with trip venue staff when needed, administrating participant lists and waivers, and creating promotional materials for the trips.
- Be attentive to the needs of Centre members and assist trip participants as needed (this may include some physical assistance to individuals with mobility limitations).
- Communicate and work effectively with the Executive Director, Office Administrator, and Program Coordinator.
- We operate as a small, collaborative team. As such, some other tasks may be required, such as help with daily programs and special events.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, including word processing skills.
- An interest in working with older adults and a good understanding of the social and physical barriers to activity experienced by older adults.
- Excellent planning, organizational, and time management skills, with an ability to multitask and handle a variety of tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to handle cash.
- Ability to work cooperatively with staff, volunteers, and older adult Centre members of diverse socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds.
Benefits & Training
- Intern will receive a one day orientation at the start of their internship, as well as on-going support and feedback from their supervisor.
- Intern will have access to all staff training opportunities.
- Intern will gain practical experience and professional skills in a non-profit, grassroots environment.
- Intern will have an opportunity to be directly involved in community development and make a lasting, meaningful impact on the lives of older adults in our community.
- Intern will be a part of a positive, supportive, and close-knit community.
- Reference letters will be available for interns at the end of their internships.
- Previous experience in event and/or program planning, organization, and delivery.
- Class 5 Drivers License and access to a vehicle.