The Program Assistant Intern will be responsible for assisting Centre staff with programs and events at the Centre. This placement would best suit individuals who are self-motivated, interested in gaining hands-on experience in working with seniors, and are passionate about community development.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Assisting with daily operations at the Centre, including program set-up and take-down, cleaning and tidying, and lunch service.
- Assist with the Centre’s special events, including fundraisers, book sales, celebrations, and outings. This may include helping with decorations, food preparation, food service, and clean-up.
- Be attentive to the needs of Centre members, socializing with them and assisting them as needed (this may include some physical assistance to individuals with mobility limitations).
- Communicate and work effectively with the Executive Director, Office Administrator, and Program Coordinator.
- We operate as a small, collaborative team. As such, some other tasks may be required.
- Effective interpersonal communication skills.
- An interest in working with older adults and a good understanding of the social and physical barriers to activity experienced by older adults.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, with an ability to multitask and handle a variety of tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to work cooperatively with staff, volunteers, and older adult Centre members of diverse socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds.
Benefits & Training
- Intern will receive a one day orientation at the start of their internship, as well as on-going support and feedback from their supervisor.
- Intern will gain practical experience and professional skills in a non-profit, grassroots environment.
- Intern will have an opportunity to be directly involved in community development and make a lasting, meaningful impact on the lives of older adults in our community.
- Reference letters will be available for interns at the end of their internships.