The Community Outreach Intern will be responsible for coordinating the Centre’s outreach efforts to socially-isolated older adults. This placement would best suit individuals who are passionate about community development and interested in gaining practical experience working with seniors.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Implement the Centre’s outreach program to socially isolated seniors. This will include maintaining a database of social housing units, local business, and community organizations and visiting these sites on a weekly basis.
- Maintain the Centre’s Community Resources Database and develop a working knowledge of community resources available for seniors.
- Help connect seniors to community resources or refer them to the Centre’s Information and Referral Program.
- Communicate and work effectively with the Executive Director, Office Administrator, and Program Coordinator.
- We operate as a small, collaborative team. As such, some other tasks may be required, such as help with daily programs and special events.
- An outgoing personality and good interpersonal communication skills.
- An interest in working with older adults and a good understanding of the social and physical barriers to activity experienced by older adults.
- Excellent planning, organizational, and time management skills, with an ability to multitask and handle a variety of tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to work cooperatively with staff, volunteers, and older adult Centre members of diverse socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds.
Benefits & Training
- Intern will receive a one day orientation at the start of their internship, as well as on-going support and feedback from their supervisor.
- Intern will have access to all staff training opportunities.
- Intern will gain practical experience and professional skills in a non-profit, grassroots environment.
- Intern will have an opportunity to be directly involved in community development and make a lasting, meaningful impact on the lives of older adults in our community.
- Intern will be a part of a positive, supportive, and close-knit community.
- Reference letters will be available for interns at the end of their internships.
- Ability to speak a language other than English.
- Class 5 Drivers License and access to a vehicle.