The Communications Intern will be responsible for assisting with internal and external office communications. Specifically, the Communication Intern’s responsibilities will include engaging with Centre members and members of the public through various social media outlets, maintaining the Centre’s website, coordinating the Centre’s core marketing efforts, creating promotional materials, and assisting with the development of internal office communications materials.
This placement would best suit individuals who have prior experience in communications, marketing, or advertising, and are interested in gaining practical operational skills in the non-profit sector.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Be responsible for coordinating the marketing and promotion of the organization both to current members and older adults in the community.
- Create advertising materials relating to the Centre’s programs, services, and events.
- Assist in the creation of social media marketing content on the Centre’s platforms, including Facebook and Twitter, and Mailchimp.
- Regularly update the Centre’s website (hosted on WordPress).
- Communicate and work effectively with the Executive Director, Office Administrator, and Program Coordinator.
- We operate as a small, collaborative team. As such, some other tasks may be required, such as help with daily programs and special events.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, specifically as related to marketing/advertising.
- Excellent word processing and graphic design skills.
- Excellent planning, organizational, and time management skills, with an ability to handle a variety of tasks in a timely manner.
- Excellent knowledge of various social media and web-publishing platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and WordPress.
- Background in marketing/communications and knowledge of photography and/or videography, PHP coding, and Google Analytics are an asset, but are not required.